Whether for work, entertainment, or academic purposes, Photoshop has always been an essential part of our lifestyle for years now. Users spend long working hours on different types of projects within the software.
As a computer mouse is a standard medium for working on any software, we expose ourselves to health risks involving poor ergonomics such as the back, shoulder, wrist pain, and severe nerve problems like carpal tunnel syndrome.
This article will help you determine the best mouse for Photoshop or photo editing in general, as knowing the right tool for your job can immensely help get you rid of those risks and make your workflow more efficient, dynamic, and hassle-free for you.
A hand-operated device used for the graphic user interface, the computer mouse of today has enjoyed a series of evolution over the past decade. Straying from simple wired and trackball pointing mechanisms, modern models showcase innovative features such as radio frequency or Bluetooth wireless control, optical and laser sensors, macro-switches, multi-device support, and many others.
Gaming variants even feature further customizations such as removable side grips, adjustable weights, RGB lighting, and so forth, allowing for a more competitive user experience. With a broad range of options to choose from, here are five of the best mouse for Photo editing the market has to offer.
The Best Mouse for Photoshop:
Logitech MX Master 3 Advanced Wireless Mouse
As one of the leading computer peripherals brands on the market, Logitech has always been at the forefront of providing consumers with the most technologically advanced and ergonomic mouse models. Their MX Master lineup has been the go-to lineup for professionals from different fields worldwide.
Their latest offering, the MX Master 3 Advanced Wireless mouse, is not to disappoint. Sculpted to perfection after generations of user feedback and recommendations, alongside the convenience offered by its innovative features, the MX Master 3 Advanced Wireless is aimed to be the industry’s standard for creatives and content creators worldwide.
- Rapid MagSpeed™ electromagnetic wheel scrolling for up to 90% faster and 87% more accurate graphical user interface allowing for a more robust, tactile, weighty, and nearly silent usage
- Ergonomically sculpted shape and intuitive thumbwheel and control placement
- Seamless cross-platform performance with its flow-enabled cross-computer control, allowing users to utilize the device in both Windows and macOS as well as either laptop, desktop PCs, or tablets with its Easy-Switch™ button
- Outstanding performance on any surface, including glass surfaces with its innovative Darkfield™ tracking sensor with its best-in-class 4000 DPI precision
- USB-C quick charging port allows for up to 70 days of continuous usage when fully charged and up to three hours of use from a minute quick charge
- Extreme precision and accuracy, especially for graphic intensive work
- Perfect ergonomics for comfort and convenience
- Unique multi-device control not standard on many mouse models
- Can be heavy and may present portability issues to some users
- Very pricey versus market alternatives
Affordable Ergonomic Mouse:
Kensington Ergonomic Vertical Wireless Mouse
When browsing the market for the best mouse for Photoshop, one cannot dismiss Kensington’s offerings as this California-based company serves as one of the industry’s pioneers when it comes to user-friendly, convenient, and ergonomic computer peripheral designs.
With a vertical configuration, the Kensington Ergonomic Vertical Wireless mouse allows a well-defined graphical user interface without pressure exertion to your wrists and joints caused by the twisting of forearms caused by standard normal mouse handling position.
- Vertical mouse form factor employs an angled slope for your wrist, allowing for an ergonomic handshake position, diminishing soft tissue compression within the wrist, and providing better forearm posture for better muscle support and more comfort for the user
- Provision of pinky finger support with an extended lip allowing for a smoother and much more convenient larger muscle group movement of the wrist
- Extensive 2.4GHz wireless connectivity covering up to 33 feet of distance; with a USB-A dongle and accompanying compartment for portability
- Wide range of optical sensitivity (DPI) to choose from, with DPI ranges of 800, 1200, 1600, 2000 and 2400
- On/off switch and auto-sleep function allowing users to save battery and provide better mileage for device usage
- Relatively affordable
- Ergonomic shape and form factor
- Long battery life
- Cheaper plastic material versus premium alternatives
- Can be bulkier compared to a standard-shaped mouse device
- Not ambidextrous – can only accommodate right-hand users
Best Mouse for photo editing:
Evoluent VM4R VerticalMouse 4 Right Hand Ergonomic Mouse
Branded as a maker of vertical mouse devices since 2002, with its roots dating as early as 1994, Evoluent has been one of the industry’s pioneers and innovators in delivering consumers vertical mouse designs that guarantee convenience and comfort with its ergonomic form factor making it best mouse for photo editing.
As vertical mouse design has been the core of the company’s philosophy, Evoluent exclusively offers vertical mouse peripherals varying only on sizing to accommodate a broad range of user hand sizes.
- Top-mounted LEDs displayed through the chrome thumb rest allows users to determine currently set pointer speed
- Steadfast comfort and intuitive placement of programmable buttons from ergonomic vertical form factor, naturally reducing wrist comfort and forearm torsion
- In comparison to earlier models, the latest iteration of Evoluent VM4R VerticalMouse 4 Right Hand Ergonomic Mouse features an improved thumb rest for much better user comfort during long working sessions
- Cross-platform compatibility is readily available as the model works appropriately either with Windows and macOS (additional third party software for OS 10.15).
- Users are provided with intuitive, extensive, and hassle-free functionality for 6-buttons with the use of Evoluent Mouse Manager driver
- Vertical mouse form factor allows maximum comfort and reduced risk of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Wired configuration allows for extensive usage without worrying about battery replacement
- Pricey compared to market alternatives
- Non-ambidextrous – can only accommodate right-hand users
- Bulky shape and wired configuration might pose portability issues to some users
For discerning users, the prominent recurrence of an ergonomic vertical mouse within this list allows us to see how ergonomics play a crucial role when browsing for the best mouse for Photoshop available on the market. J-Tech Digital’s take on this feature accounts for user comfort and convenience and adds aesthetic touches using LED trims for their model. Not only are these models ergonomic and pleasing to look at, but this mouse model is very cost-effective as well.
- User discomfort is minimised by allowing less exertion of pressure towards the wrist and joints as well as avoiding unnecessary twisting of the forearms during long hours of usage utilising a neutral “handshake” position
- Easily detachable palm rest allows for customisability and adjustability as well as provision of blue LED trim on the mouse outlines for a stylish touch
- Wide range of optical sensitivity (DPI) to choose from as well as the inclusion of an Optical Tracking Technology allowing for precise and sensitive tracking on different types of surfaces
- Convenient button placement and easily swappable button functionality via software
- Compatibility with different operating systems as well as an included one-year manufacturer warranty and free lifetime technical support from J-Tech Digital’s team based in Houston, Texas
- Wired mouse removes the need for battery replacement
- Value for money
- Extensive User Warranty and Product Support
- Wired and bulky form factor might pose portability issues
- Not Ambidextrous
Best Budget Ergonomic Mouse:
Perixx PERIMICE-518R Wired Vertical USB Mouse
With their long experience of delivering peripheral computer solutions within Europe, Asia, and North America, the Perixx entry within this list is also another vertical mouse device offering excellent ergonomic comfort to users looking for the best mouse for Photoshop, content creation, gaming, and other tasks that require long hours of usage. With its elegant two-tone feature, intelligent material usage, and economical offering, the Perixx PERIMICE-518R is an outstanding option for different users.
- Ergonomic and comfortable form-factor, especially for right-handers with large hands
- Provision of 5 programmable buttons easily modifiable with accompanying software as well as intuitive two-level optical sensitivity (DPI) of the very widely used 1000/1600 DPI setup
- Usage of rubber coating for thumb support allows for a very comfortable grip, as well as the use of two-tone plastic colors for a more elegant design
- On/off switch as well as auto-power saving mode after 10 seconds of standby mode
- Multiple platform compatibility with easy to setup 2.4 GHz wireless connectivity
- Ergonomic vertical form factor allows for more extended usage without wrist and forearm strain
- Value for Money
- Excellent design and material choice
- Non-ambidextrous – accommodates right-hand users only
- Portability issues due to a bulky form factor
To summarize, this list comprises some of the best models the market has to offer if you’re looking for reliable partner tools for your next intensive graphic processing work. While it is in our effort to provide you with the best product recommendations on the market, it is crucial to understand that the necessity of these peripherals allowed for the existence of a very saturated market offering mountains of options for you.
As mouse devices are considerably personal items, usability and convenience vary greatly per user, and the best mouse for Photoshop can be very subjective. From sizing, brand loyalty, budget, and choice of features you want for your mouse devices, market options are nearly limitless for you. Nonetheless, we hope that the recommendations and reviews we provided could help you gain insight into which type of mouse model would best satisfy your usage requirements.